- Parks and Facilities
In 1903, the construction of an Everett public library was financed by a $25,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Construction of the new building began in May 1904 and the Everett Carnegie Library opened to the public on July 1, 1905. The library building was designed by the renowned local architecture firm of Heide and deNeuf in the Second Renaissance Revival style and is considered one of the finest examples of its kind. The architects modeled the building primarily after the Carnegie Library in Pomona, California with some references to a scaled-down version of the 1892 Boston Public Library.
The building served as Everett’s library from 1905 to 1934. From 1934 to 1980, the building was used as a mortuary, whose owners preserved the historic details of the building. In 1980, Snohomish County assumed ownership of the building and the facility served as offices for the first County Executive, Willis Tucker, when the County adopted a home rule form of government. As the county government’s size and facilities needs expanded, the building was subsequently used for other county departments, and then sat vacant for many years. In 2018, the Carnegie Building was given a facelift and took on its new role.
In partnership with Pioneer Human Services, Snohomish County Human Services Department opened the Carnegie Resource Center (CRC) in Everett. The CRC operates as a service hub for individuals across Snohomish County, providing them with the opportunity to become connected to a wide range of community services, including housing, mental health, and substance use treatment. Agencies with proficiency in these areas will be onsite offering appointments to complete applications and assessments, pass on important information about services, and give members of our community a place to enrich themselves and their families. Snohomish County wishes to fully engage the community we serve and assist in finding and engaging in supportive services for those in need. The Carnegie Resource Center will be a beacon of hope for our community and a model for agency and governmental partnership.
For more information about the Carnegie Resource Center, please contact 425-434-4680