The Criminal Division is the largest division in the Snohomish County Prosecutor's Office and is organized into several different units:
- Felony - The Felony Unit processes all adult felony referrals from county law enforcement agencies in both the incorporated and unincorporated areas. Case files are prepared from these referrals and routed to the appropriate felony unit: Non-Violent Crimes, Violent Crimes, Drugs, or Special Assault (for child abuse cases and adult sexual offenses). Cases are reviewed by a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney who determines whether: 1) additional law enforcement investigation is required, 2) the case should be referred to Therapeutic Alternatives to Prosecution (TAP), 3) the case should be declined as legally insufficient, or 4) felony charges should be filed. If charges are filed, the case proceeds through arraignment, trial (unless a plea agreement is reached first), and sentencing. Further case work may be required if an appeal is filed or the defendant commits a probation violation.
- Misdemeanor - The Prosecutor's District Court Unit processes all misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor cases referred by the county sheriff, the State Patrol, all state agencies, and some cities who have contracted with the county for misdemeanor prosecution services. These cases are processed through one of the four district court jurisdictions in Snohomish County: Cascade, Evergreen, Everett, and South.
- Juvenile - The Juvenile Unit processes all law enforcement referrals, both felony and misdemeanor, within the incorporated and unincorporated areas of Snohomish County for offenders under 18 years of age.
- Therapeutic Alternatives to Prosecution (TAP) - This program provides an alternative to court trial and incarceration for a limited number of qualifying first-time offenders. These offenders are held accountable for their crimes through participation in self-paid evaluation and rehabilitation, payment of restitution to victims, payment of other fees and fines, and successful completion of all terms and conditions of a diversion contract.
- Victim Witness - This unit provides assistance and support to victims and witnesses of the most serious crimes during their involvement in the criminal justice process. The Victim Witness Unit also facilitates the establishment of restitution, property return, and other post-prosecution concerns.