Residential Treatment Facility North
The Washington Health Care Authority (HCA) has applied for a conditional use permit to construct a mental health residential treatment facility at 29919 80th Avenue NW, Stanwood, WA. The proposed facility is categorized as a Health and Social Service Facility, Level II, which requires a conditional use permit in the R-5 zone.
The proposal consists of:
- Two 16-bed buildings to be constructed in phases
- Associated parking and landscaping
- Frontage Improvements
- Stormwater detention vault
- Waterline extension from the City of Stanwood to serve the site
- A new off-site septic system (tanks and reserve areas)
- A gravel maintenance road
Conditional Use permits are a Type 2 permit which require a public hearing and decision by the Hearing Examiner. To find more information about this process, see Chapter 30.72 of Snohomish County Code.
The proposal is subject to environmental review under the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA).
Public Notice of the SEPA determination and hearing date will be sent to all parties of record and taxpayers within 1,000 feet of the project site when the hearing is scheduled.
All comments received are considered in the decision-making process by both Planning and Development Services and the Hearing Examiner.
The Hearing Examiner’s decision may be appealed to the County Council.
Where we are in the process:
- The application was received by PDS on January 31, 2022
- Notice of application was provided on February 9, 2022, and a public comment period ended on March 2, 2022.
- The application is under review with PDS’ technical reviewers for compliance with:
- Land use, parking, landscaping, etc.
- Critical areas (wetlands, streams, etc.)
- Drainage and Stormwater
- Traffic Impacts, road (frontage) improvements
- Well (water supply) and on-site septic (under review with Snohomish Health District)
- Fire code
- SEPA compliance
- SEPA Threshold Determination issued on September 18, 2022
- Notice of Hearing Published and sent to all parties of record on September 18, 2022. (Notice was published on September 20 in the Stanwood Camano News).
- SEPA Appeal received October 3, 2022
- Public Hearing Canceled Notice published and sent to all parties of record on October 16, 2022
- Pre-Hearing Conference scheduled for October 27, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
- Hearing rescheduled for January 24, 25, and 26, 2022.
Next steps (Please note: Specific dates/times for these expected steps depend on the project applicant and other factors):
- Planning and Development Services (PDS) conducts its first review of the application. At the conclusion of review, PDS will send a request for information/corrections back to the applicant. This typically includes any corrections needed in order to comply with applicable regulations. It may also include a request for the applicant to provide responses to comments received from residents and agencies.
- The applicant re-submits the application with information and materials requested by PDS as described above. It is not uncommon for applicants to go through 2-3 rounds of review prior to being scheduled for a public hearing.
- Issuance of a SEPA threshold determination (a “SEPA decision”). Notice of this determination is typically combined with the notice of hearing for the underlying application. This determination can be appealed to the hearing examiner. If appealed, the hearing for the appeal will be combined with the hearing for the underlying conditional use permit.
- Public Hearing. The Snohomish County Hearing Examiner will hold a public hearing for the conditional use permit. Any person may provide oral comments during the hearing. Written comment is also accepted during the review process before the hearing.
- Decision Issued. The Hearing Examiner will ultimately issue a decision for the proposed conditional use permit. The decision is sent to all parties of record, and is appealable to the county council.
- The applicant maintains a website with additional information, which you can find at: https://www.hca.wa.gov/about-hca/behavioral-health-recovery/proposed-community-based-residential-treatment-facility.
- Frequently Asked Questions Flyer from the Washington State Health Care Authority website (HCA) at: https://www.hca.wa.gov/assets/program/snohomish-county-rtf-fact-sheet-20220318.pdf.
- The Washington HCA hosted an online public meeting on March 22, 2022.
Learn about the Hearing Examiner and the public hearing process using the links below:
Appeal to County Council of Hearing Examiner's decision filed March 21, 2023.
Hearing Exhibits and Staff Recommendation
SEPA Appeal Hearing Examiner Filings:
- SEPA Appeal
- SEPA Appeal Declaration
- Notice of Pre-Hearing Conference
- Scheduling Order
- Motion to Dismiss (PDS)
- Joinder (Tulalip Tribes)
- Appellant response to dismiss
- Response to Motion to Dismiss (PDS)
- Joinder in Support of Motion to Dismiss (Tulalip Tribes)
3rd Submittal Documents (August 22, 2022)
2nd Submittal Documents (June 27, 2022)
Project File Number
22 102230 CUP
How to Get Involved
To email comments or request to become a party of record, contact the project manager Stacey Abbott at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your first and last name in the comments or Party of Record Request.