Update - January 6 - Completed in 2021
On January 5, 2021, road crews finished the emergency repairs on Sultan Basin Rd earlier than expected. The road is now open in both directions. One lane will remain gravel until weather conditions allow for paving.
Update - December 28
On December 23, the road closure changed from a full road closure 24/7 to only during working hours, 8am - 4pm. The road is a single-lane closure from 4pm - 8am and on weekends or holidays (December 25 and January 1). The single-lane closure is controlled by an temporary traffic signal.
One day of paving will need to be completed in January and is weather dependent. The section of the repair may remain as gravel until weather conditions allow for paving to be completed.
Sultan Basin Rd between 124th St SE and 132nd St SE has been damaged by substantial beaver activity near the road. The beavers have plugged a culvert causing saturated soils and sluffing along the embankment. To prevent the road from sustaining further damage, an emergency repair is required including a full road closure.
- View detour route
- Local access will be available, but no through access. For residents north of 12924 Sultan Basin Rd, they will need to use the detour route. For residents south of 12924 Sultan Basin Rd, access from the south end of the project will be allowed.
- Mid-November: emergency single-lane closure; assess impacts
- December 3, 2020: soil testing by county geotechnical staff to determine depth and extent of the damage
- December 7, 2020 - December 22, 2020: full road closure with detour route; construction repairs by county crews
- December 23 - January 5: full road closure during working hours, 8am - 4pm. Single-lane closure from 4pm - 8am and on weekends or holidays.
- January 5: road re-opened