Run for Office
To become a candidate on the ballot, you must:
- be a registered voter in the district
- meet the qualifications for the office at the time of filing
- follow the steps below
Steps to Become a Candidate
1. Choose an Open Office
Open Offices for 2022 will available in February
You can learn more about these positions in the 2021 Candidate Guide. Candidates may file for only one office.
2. File for Office (May 16-20, 2022)
Filing will be open from 9 a.m. May 16 to 4 p.m. (5 p.m. in person) May 20.
Candidates may file:
- Online – Click this link (active during the filing period)
- Email – Send a Declaration of Candidacy to firstname.lastname@example.org during the open period
- Fax – Send a Declaration of Candidacy to 425-259-2777 during the open period
- In Person – File at Snohomish County Elections during business hours
3. Declare Your Candidacy with the PDC (within two weeks of starting campaign)
Once you publicly announce your candidacy or organize a campaign committee, you have two weeks to make a formal declaration of candidacy with the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC).
4. Submit Your Candidate Statement
Let voters know about you and your qualifications by submitting a candidate statement and photo to be published in the local voters' pamphlet. A submission link will be sent via email once your filing has been approved.
See the 2021 Candidate Guide for information about submission requirements.
Snohomish County Elections Virtual Candidate Workshops
Snohomish County Elections hosted three online candidate workshops focusing on filing and running for local office. If you missed attending these live events, a recorded version is available here.
- Offices up for Election Note: City of Bothell and Northshore School District offices file with King County and are not on the list
- Candidates Who Filed
- 2021 Candidate Guide (PDF)
- Campaign finance reporting
- Campaign sign information
- Local Voters’ Pamphlet Administration Rules (PDF)
- Confirm your registration and eligible districts
- Oath of Office Fact Sheet 2021 (PDF)