2024 Comprehensive Plan Update
Snohomish County is planning for a resilient, vibrant, and inclusive future. One of the main ways the county can plan for this future is through periodic updates to its Comprehensive Plan.
The Comprehensive Plan (the "Plan") is a document that guides Snohomish County decisions on a wide range of topics and services over a 20-year time period. As the Plan acts as the blueprints for development in the county, it will impact neighborhoods, businesses, traffic, the environment, and you. The Plan is also meant to reflect the vision and priorities of Snohomish County communities and residents, while meeting requirements of state and federal law. Click here to view the current Plan.
Between now and June 2024, the Plan will go through an update (the “2024 Comprehensive Plan Update,” or “2024 Update”). When adopted, the Plan will be in effect from 2024 to 2044 with minor updates.
Why is the Plan being updated?
Washington State’s Growth Management Act (GMA) requires that cities and counties update their Comprehensive Plans on a periodic schedule. This is an opportunity to revise population and employment growth forecasts with the most up to date data, review existing policies to ensure they make sense for the communities they serve, write new policies that reflect the priorities of the communities of Snohomish County, and confirm that all federal, state, and local requirements are met. The next update of the county’s Comprehensive Plan is due June 30, 2024. The 2024 Update will plan for the next 20 years of population and employment growth through the year 2044.
Project Overview and Schedule
The purpose of the 2024 Update is to comply with the requirements of the GMA in RCW 36.70A.130 for Snohomish County to:
- Plan for the next 20 years of population and employment growth
- Review and revise the comprehensive plan and development regulations to ensure they comply with the requirements of the GMA.
The final deadline for adoption of any updates pertaining to this project is June 30, 2024.
Public Meetings and Notices
Are you interested in joining a public meeting? See the calendar in the right column for upcoming events related to the 2024 Comprehensive Plan Update. Click "view more" to see the full list.
Coming Soon - Public Engagement Reports
*Please note this website is under construction. Please check back soon for updates.
How can I get involved?
Snohomish County wants to hear from you! The population and employment landscapes are changing as more people choose to live, work, and play in Snohomish County. Your voice will help shape the County’s future and help us understand important topics of today.
There are several ways to be involved in the 2024 Update.
- Take a survey from the Light Rail Communities Project about land use and transportation topics open through September 12, 2021 at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LRCDevRegs. *The Light Rail Communities Project will inform the creation of the Urban Core Subarea Plan element.
- Sign up on the email list to receive updates including our newsletter, information about outreach events, surveys, and other public participation opportunities.
- Send us an email at 2024Update@snoco.org to let us know what you think. What do you want to see in your neighborhood?