Report an Animal Nuisance

Our service area is limited. Information on this page applies to incidents that occur in 
unincorporated outside of city or town limits
Snohomish County. 

Click the map below to find your service area.

If you are experiencing or witnessing an emergency situation, call 911.

Screenshot of map tool Opens in new window

  1. Report a barking dog
  2. Report a dog off leash
  3. Report a stray

All dogs bark. However, when barking becomes a neighborhood nuisance, there are steps you can take to address the problem. Following the steps below will give you the best chances of achieving a quiet, happy neighborhood.

1. Understand the law

A dog that barks for at least 10 minutes during any half hour period is in violation of Snohomish County Code 9.12.060.

2. Start by talking to the pet owner

3. Document the ongoing issue

  • If speaking with the owner directly does not resolve the issue or the owner is not approachable, document the ongoing issue for at least 7 days using the Barking Dog Complaint Form (PDF).
    Note: Using the Edge browser to fill this form causes errors. Please use a different internet browser or Adobe Acrobat.
  • Documentation is essential for Animal Control Officers to find the owner in violation of Snohomish County Code.

4. Share your documentation with Animal Services

  • Email the completed Barking Dog Complaint Form (PDF) (keeping a copy for your records) to Snohomish County Animal Services at
  • You will be contacted by the Animal Services Coordinator who will provide you with a case number. Please hold on to this case number as you will need it to escalate enforcement should the barking continue.
  • Animal Services will issue a warning to the dog owner.