Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team (SMART)
The Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team (SMART) is a team of investigators, evidence technicians, records specialists, and public information officers from various Snohomish County law enforcement agencies and Washington State Patrol who respond to and investigate police use of force incidents. The goals of the team are:
- To promote public trust by conducting professional and consistent multi-jurisdictional investigations of major incidents, primarily law enforcement involved fatalities and serious injury incidents.
- To maximize the availability and sharing of the latest technological equipment and techniques.
- To consolidate and share the skills of the most experienced supervisors and investigators.
- To conduct thorough investigations in as timely a fashion as is feasible under the circumstances.
The team is activated when a Chief of Police or the Sheriff requests a consultation from the SMART Commander, who then determines (based on previously established protocol) whether SMART will investigate the incident. When an investigation is complete, it is forwarded to the Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney for review and to determine if criminal laws were broken.
Oversight of the team is conducted by a Board of Directors which is comprised of:
- The Snohomish County Sheriff (or representative)
- The Everett Police Chief (or representative)
- The Snohomish County Commander of the Washington State Patrol (or representative)
- A Chief of Police (or representative) from municipalities from North County (Arlington, Granite Falls, Lake Stevens, or Marysville).
- A Chief of Police (or representative) from municipalities from East County (Monroe, Snohomish, or Sultan).
- A Chief of Police (or representative) from municipalities from South County (Bothell, Brier, Edmonds, Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, or Mukilteo).
- Representatives of the Snohomish County Prosecutor’s Office and the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office (non-voting advisors)
SMART investigators are selected for their training and expertise in criminal investigations, basic homicide investigations, crime scene investigations, the Reid Technique of Interviewing and Interrogation, officer-involved shooting investigations, and in-custody death investigations. The team meets regularly to train and debrief on active investigations.
Media Relations, News Releases & Public Records Requests
SMART Public Information Officers (PIOs):
- Shari Ireton, Director of Communications, Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, or call 425-583-7446
- Officer Aaron Snell, Everett Police Department, or call 425-508-8854
- Julie Moore, Public Affairs Officer, City of Lynnwood, or call 425-670-5023
- Kristin Banfield, Communications Manager, City of Arlington, or call 360-403-3444
SMART Public Records Requests:
SMART News Releases
- 2018_07_15 SMART Team Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Everett - Update (PDF)
- 2018_07_15 SMART Team Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Everett (PDF)
- 2018_02_13 SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting Update 1 (PDF)
- 2018_02_12 SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting (PDF)
- 2018_01_21 Multiagency team responds to officer involved shooting on Ebey Island (PDF)
- 2017_12_29 SMART Team investigates In-Custody Death (PDF)
- 2017_08_31 SMART Team investigates in-custody death at the Snohomish County Jail (PDF)
- 2017_07_16 SMART Team Investigating Fatal Collision (PDF)
- 2017_03_21 SMART Investigators continue efforts into March 21st incident (PDF)
- 2017_03_21 First responding deputies called for emergency help shortly after arrival (PDF)
- 2017_03_21 Audio from calls to 911 and deputy’s radio traffic released (PDF)
- 2017_02_19 SMART Team Investigating Officer-involved Shooting Near Lake Stevens (PDF)
- 2017_02_14 SMART continues investigating Arlington Police officer involved shooting (PDF)
- 2017_01_30 SMART Team Investigates Officer-Involved Shooting in Lynnwood (PDF)
- 2018_02_12 SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting
- 2016_12_20 Updates in Officer-Involved Shooting Investigation (PDF)
- 2016_12_18 Detectives Investigate Shooting in Everett (PDF)
- 2016_10_31 SMART Team investigates death of man during medical call (PDF)
- 2016_05_06 SMART Team investigates SWAT stand-off Near Lake Stevens (PDF)
- 2016_04_12 Multiagency Team responds to shots fired in Lake Stevens (PDF)