Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team (SMART)
The Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team (SMART) is a team of investigators, evidence technicians, records specialists, and public information officers from various Snohomish County law enforcement agencies and Washington State Patrol who respond to and investigate police use of force incidents. The goals of the team are:
- To promote public trust by conducting professional and consistent multi-jurisdictional investigations of major incidents, primarily law enforcement involved fatalities and serious injury incidents.
- To maximize the availability and sharing of the latest technological equipment and techniques.
- To consolidate and share the skills of the most experienced supervisors and investigators.
- To conduct thorough investigations in as timely a fashion as is feasible under the circumstances.
The team is activated when a Chief of Police or the Sheriff requests a consultation from the SMART Commander, who then determines (based on previously established protocol) whether SMART will investigate the incident. When an investigation is complete, it is forwarded to the Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney for review and to determine if criminal laws were broken.
Oversight of the team is conducted by a Board of Directors which is comprised of:
- The Snohomish County Sheriff (or representative)
- The Everett Police Chief (or representative)
- The Snohomish County Commander of the Washington State Patrol (or representative)
- A Chief of Police (or representative) from municipalities from North County (Arlington, Granite Falls, Lake Stevens, or Marysville).
- A Chief of Police (or representative) from municipalities from East County (Monroe, Snohomish, or Sultan).
- A Chief of Police (or representative) from municipalities from South County (Bothell, Brier, Edmonds, Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, or Mukilteo).
- Representatives of the Snohomish County Prosecutor’s Office and the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office (non-voting advisors)
SMART investigators are selected for their training and expertise in criminal investigations, basic homicide investigations, crime scene investigations, the Reid Technique of Interviewing and Interrogation, officer-involved shooting investigations, and in-custody death investigations. The team meets regularly to train and debrief on active investigations.
Media Relations, News Releases & Public Records Requests
SMART Public Information Officers (PIOs):
- Shari Ireton, Director of Communications, Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, or call 425-583-7446
- Officer Aaron Snell, Everett Police Department, or call 425-508-8854
- Julie Moore, Public Affairs Officer, City of Lynnwood, or call 425-670-5023
- Kristin Banfield, Communications Manager, City of Arlington, or call 360-403-3444
SMART Public Records Requests:
SMART News Releases
- 11-03-18: SMART Continues Investigation in Deputy Involved Shooting in Woodinville - UPDATE 2
- 11-01-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Woodinville - UPDATE
- 10-31-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Woodinville
- 10-24-18: SMART Investigating Fatal Officer Involved Shooting
- 09-18-18: SMART Investigates Officer Involved Shooting in Marysville
- 09-11-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Stanwood - Update
- 09-09-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Stanwood
- 07-15-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Everett - Update
- 07-15-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting in Everett
- 02-13-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting - UPDATE
- 02-12-18: SMART Investigates Deputy Involved Shooting
- 01-21-18: Multiagency team responds to officer involved shooting on Ebey Island
- 12-29-17: SMART Team investigates In-Custody Death
- 08-31-17: SMART Team investigates in-custody death at the Snohomish County Jail
- 07-06-17: SMART Team Investigating Fatal Collision
- 03-21-17: SMART Investigators continue efforts into March 21st incident
- 03-21-17: First responding deputies called for emergency help shortly after arrival
- 03-21-17: Audio from calls to 911 and deputy’s radio traffic released
- 02-19-17: SMART Team Investigating Officer-involved Shooting Near Lake Stevens
- 02-14-17: SMART continues investigating Arlington Police officer involved shooting
- 01-30-17: SMART Team Investigates Officer-Involved Shooting in Lynnwood
- 12-20-16: Updates in Officer-Involved Shooting Investigation
- 12-18-16: Detectives Investigate Shooting in Everett
- 10-31-16: SMART Team investigates death of man during medical call
- 05-06-16: SMART Team investigates SWAT stand-off Near Lake Stevens
- 04-12-16: Multiagency Team responds to shots fired in Lake Stevens
2018 7 2017 7 2016 4 2015 3 2014 4 2013 6 2012 7 2011 3 2010 2 2009 8 2008 7 2007 7 2006 3 2005 3 2004 4 2003 5 2002 1 2001 2 2000 1 1999 1 1998 2 1997 1 1996 3 1995 1*Current year investigation number subject to change