The premium is the amount that you may be required to pay for your health insurance. Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code allows most employees* to pay for their healthcare premiums with pre-taxed dollars. Premium contributions are collected in advance and are deducted on a semi-monthly basis on the 22nd and 7th of each month. For example:
- Days worked from March 1st - March 15th pay the March 22nd deduction, which pays for the first half of April
- Days worked from March 16th - March 31st pay the April 7th deduction, which pays for the second half of April
If you work 35 or more hours per week (budgeted FTE must be .875):
- You will share the monthly premium contributions for Medical Insurance with the County
- The County pays for your Dental, Vision, Basic Life, and Long Term Disability Insurance premiums
- Review the monthly premiums (PDF) for full-time employees
If you work between 20 and 34 hours per week (budgeted FTE between .5 and .85):
- The County’s contributions toward your Medical, Dental, Vision, and Basic Life Insurance premiums will be pro-rated in an amount equal to your actual Full Time Equivalent (FTE). (Example: If you are employed for 30 hours per week, your FTE is 0.75. You will pay 25% of the County’s premium contributions plus the employee contributions.)
- The County pays for your Long Term Disability Insurance premiums
- Review the pro-rated monthly premiums (Excel Calculator) for part-time employees
*Excludes employees that enroll a Domestic Partner, employees that request to pay with after-tax dollars, and Superior Court Judges.
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), is a federal law that may allow you to temporarily keep health coverage after your employment ends, you lose coverage as a dependent of the covered employee, or another qualifying event.
Retiree Medical Insurance Premiums
The County offers one retiree medical plan administered by Regence BlueShield. To be eligible, the employee must be eligible to receive a Washington State Department of Retirement Systems pension within three months after separation.