43rd Ave SE/Sunset Rd
November 2019 Update
An open house will take place between 5:30 and 7:30 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 5, at the Willis Tucker Community Park Activity Center, to discuss proposed road improvements for the 43rd Ave SE/Sunset Rd project. Willis Tucker Community Park is located at 6705 Puget Park Drive, in Snohomish.
Items being discussed include project benefits, right-of-way, environmental review, and Urban Growth Boundary. Current proposed designs will be on display.
Snohomish County elected officials, public works project managers and employees and others associated with the project will be available at the open house to answer questions and concerns.
A brochure for the open house has been sent to the residents in the project area.
March 2019 Update
Public Works’ Environmental Services staff will work with consultants to conduct environmental studies in support of the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review. Study topics include: gathering noise measurements for noise impact analysis; determining the presence of streams, wetlands and their buffers; and cultural and historic resources. This work will take place within the public right of way and adjacent properties as allowed by adjacent landowners.
- April - June 2019: Obtain temporary easements for fieldwork
- July - August 2019: Conduct fieldwork
- September - October 2019: Prepare draft reports
- Fall 2019/Winter 2020: Public meeting and SEPA determination
Right of way specialists from Snohomish County will be reaching out to some property owners near the project area to receive rights of entry or temporary easements for the studies to be completed. Thank you in advance for your cooperation on these studies.
Snohomish County Public Works proposes to construct arterial improvements to approximately 1.7 miles of 43rd Ave SE from SR 524 (Maltby Road) to Sunset Rd at 180th St SE. Construction includes the following primary elements:
- Widen 43rd Ave SE from SR 524 north to 188th St SE to a two-lane rural section
- Add approximately 1,400 linear feet of new county rural road to connect 200th St SE and 196th St SE
- Improve the existing urban section of 43rd Avenue SE from 188th St SE north to 184th St SE
- Add approximately 450 linear feet of new county urban road between 184th St SE and 42nd Dr SE
- Install two new roundabouts on 43rd Ave SE at SR 524 and at 196th St SE
- Install new traffic signal and turn pockets at 180th St SE and Sunset Rd
- Add two new stormwater ponds and three underground stormwater chambers
The project team has been working hard to develop the design report for this project. The design report includes roadway section, intersection, and drainage alternatives for the project. The draft schedule for this project has been updated and is listed below.
- 2016-2018: Completed field survey and preliminary design
- 2019: Environmental studies
- October 2019: Completed traffic noise study
- December 2019: Public open house
- 2020-2021: Design, right of way acquisitions and utility relocations
- 2021: Go out for construction bids
- 2022-2023: Construction of roadway
Traffic Impact / Road Closure
Due to the current width of the road south of 188th St SE, Public Works has closed 43rd Ave SE at 188th St SE to vehicle traffic until road improvements are made. The closure has been in effect since July 11, 2016. Pedestrian access is allowed.
- Residents north of 188th St SE can use 35th Ave SE via 187th Pl SE (a new connection was constructed) to travel south.
- Residents at or south of 188th St SE should use 196th St SE or Jewell Rd as an alternative route.
For more information regarding the road closure, read the frequently asked questions (FAQ) (PDF).
The proposed design, right-of-way, and construction will be funded by the Snohomish County Road Fund. The county will pursue grants and other funding opportunities to help fund the project as the design process proceeds.
The county will complete an environmental review of the proposed project area in compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA).
Snohomish County Public Works held a public meeting on June 27, 2017 to discuss four projects in this area. The projects were the 35th Ave SE - Phase II, 43rd Ave SE/Sunset Rd, 180th St SE Phase I and II, and 196th St SE/Grannis Rd. Staff was available to answer questions, review proposed improvements, and gather feedback on potential designs.
- Newsletter (PDF) - November 2019
- Postcard (PDF) - April 2019
- Newsletter (PDF) - July 2016
- Notice (PDF): Road closure at 43rd Ave SE and 188th St SE - July 2016
Other Projects in the Area
In addition to the 43rd Ave. SE project, the county is working on improvements to other nearby corridors including:
- 35th Ave SE, Phase I (180th St SE to Seattle Hill Rd) - Completed
- 35th Ave SE, Phase II (SR 524 to 180th St SE)
- 156th St SE (35th Ave SE to the schools)
- 180th St SE, Phase I and II (SR 527 to 35th Ave SE)
- 196th St SE/Grannis Rd (22nd Ave SE to 189th Pl SE) - Completed
- Seattle Hill Rd (35th Ave SE to 132nd St SE) - Completed