43rd Ave SE/Sunset Rd
March 2019 Update
Public Works’ Environmental Services staff will work with consultants to conduct environmental studies in support of the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review. Study topics include: gathering noise measurements for noise impact analysis; determining the presence of streams, wetlands and their buffers; and cultural and historic resources. This work will take place within the public right of way and adjacent properties as allowed by adjacent landowners.
- April - June 2019: Obtain temporary easements for fieldwork
- July - August 2019: Conduct fieldwork
- September - October 2019: Prepare draft reports
- Fall 2019/Winter 2020: Public meeting and SEPA determination
Right of way specialist from Snohomish County will be reaching out to some property owners near the project area to receive rights of entry or temporary easements for the studies to be completed. Thank you in advance for your cooperation on these studies.
Snohomish County Public Works proposes to construct arterial improvements to approximately 1.7 miles of 43rd Ave SE from SR 524 (Maltby Road) to Sunset Rd at 180th St SE. Construction includes the following primary elements:
- Widen 43rd Ave SE from SR 524 north to 180th St SE to a two-lane rural section
- Add approximately 1,400 linear feet of new county rural road to connect 200th St SE and 196th St SE
- Improve the existing urban section of 43rd Avenue SE from 188th St SE north to 184th St SE
- Add approximately 450 linear feet of new county urban road between 43rd Ave SE and 184th St SE to Sunset Rd and 42nd Dr SE
- Install two new roundabouts on 43rd Ave SE at SR 524 and 196th St SE
- Install new traffic signal and turn pockets at 180th St SE and Sunset Rd
The project team has been working hard to develop the design report for this project. The design report includes roadway section, intersection, and drainage alternatives for the project. The draft schedule for this project has been updated and is listed below.
- 2016-2018: Completed field survey and preliminary design
- 2019: Environmental review and community outreach, right of way plan, design
- 2020-2021: Design, right of way acquisitions, and utility re-locations
- 2022-2023: Construction
Traffic Impact / Road Closure
Due to the current width of the road south of 188th St SE and rising traffic volumes, Public Works is temporarily closing 43rd Ave SE at 188th St SE to vehicle traffic. The closure goes into effect the week of July 11, 2016 and is proposed to last until improvements are made to 43rd Ave SE. Pedestrian access will still be allowed.
- Residents north of 188th St SE can use 35th Ave SE via 187th Pl SE (a new connection was constructed) to travel south.
- Residents at or south of 188th St SE should use 196th St SE or Jewell Rd as an alternative route.
For more information regarding the road closure, read the frequently asked questions (FAQ) (PDF).
The proposed design, right-of-way, and construction will be funded by the Snohomish County Road Fund. The county will pursue grants and other funding opportunities to help fund the project as the design process proceeds.
The county will complete an environmental review of the proposed project area in compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA).
Snohomish County Public Works held a public meeting on June 27, 2017 to discuss four projects in this area. The projects were the 35th Ave SE - Phase II, 43rd Ave SE/Sunset Rd, 180th St SE Phase I and II, and 196th St SE/Grannis Rd. Staff was available to answer questions, review proposed improvements, and gather feedback on potential designs.
- Postcard (PDF) - April 2019
- Newsletter (PDF) - July 2016
- Notice (PDF): Road closure at 43rd Ave SE and 188th St SE - July 2016
Other Projects in the Area
In addition to the 43rd Ave. SE project, the county is working on improvements to other nearby corridors including: