Concealed Pistol Licenses

A NEW LOOK FOR CPLs!  Effective 8/26/2019

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office has implemented a new CPL to replace the old, paper license. As of August 26, 2019, CPLs in Snohomish County are now printed on plastic cards, similar to a driver’s license.  View an example of the new Snohomish County issued CPL.

For walk-in service at the County Courthouse please plan to arrive by 3 p.m. and bring a completed CPL Application (PDF) with you. The Courthouse location does not take appointments and services are offered on a "first come, first served" basis. Please be advised if you arrive after 3 p.m., we may not be able to accommodate your request until the next business day.

Obtaining the License

CPL applications must be completed in person. The application process may take up to 45 minutes. NOTE: We are only able to accept cash or check.

What to Bring

You will need to show proof of identification. Accepted photo identification is:

  • A current passport
  • A current Washington state driver’s license
  • A current Washington state identification card
  • Equivalent out of state identification
  • Law enforcement identification
  • Military identification card

Where to Apply

City residents may apply to the local law enforcement agency (Police Department) in the jurisdiction where they reside. County residents (unincorporated) may apply at the Sheriff’s Office precincts (see locations and hours under "Contact Us" on the right side of this page.)


Conditions that may prevent the ability to obtain a CPL are listed in RCW 9.41.070.

Permit Issue Date

It takes approximately 30 days to process an application. Issued permits can be picked up or mailed to you.

Out-of-State Residents

Washington has reciprocity for concealed pistol licenses issued by certain other states, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law. The Washington State Attorney General's website provides a list of those states that have reciprocity with Washington for concealed pistol licenses.

The Sheriff’s Office will issue concealed pistol licenses to out-of-state residents. The waiting period may take up to 60 days for nonresidents.

Alien Firearms Licenses

The Department of Licensing has additional application information for resident aliens living in Washington state who wish to apply for a firearms license.


Please refer to our "Fees for Services" page.