Service of Court Documents & Legal Papers

Sheriff's Sales Information including Upcoming Sales

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office Civil Unit processes and serves a wide range of court documents filed in Washington and other states.

Our responsibility and priority is to serve those court documents directly requiring the Sheriff of Snohomish County to serve, including Protection Orders, Writs of Restitutions, Writs of Execution, Orders of Sale, Criminal Subpoenas, Writs of Habeas Corpus, etc. Other court documents not requiring the direct service of the Sheriff’s Office such as Small Claims, Notices, Summons, Complaints, Petitions, Declarations, Civil Subpoenas, Orders to Show Cause, etc., will not be accepted for service at this time except under the following circumstances:

  1. The documents will be accepted for service on a person currently booked into the Snohomish County Jail,
  2. The documents are from out of state and that state requires service by law enforcement.

Those needing service for these other court documents may seek service through private process servers or anyone over the age of 18 not party to the action.

In order to serve documents, Civil Unit staff will need to collect as much information as possible, including addresses, phone numbers, employment information and deadline for service. Papers cannot be served to post office boxes.

The Civil Unit will make several attempts at service based on how much time we have to serve and our ability to locate the person(s) you wish to have served. We do not guarantee service

We do not transfer custody of children except under court order (Writ of Habeas Corpus).

Please consult the "Fees" page for an estimation of cost of service.

Civil Unit Services

Description Definition Forms
Court Order An order from the court requiring someone to appear in court before a judge  - Other Court Order Intake (PDF)
Writ of Habeas Corpus
A write to bring the body to the court and receive whatsoever the court or judge decrees  - Habeas Corpus Intake Form (PDF)
 - Be prepared to make an interview appointment
Subpoena A subpoena is a court order compelling people to testify in court  - Service Information Form (PDF)
Writ of Replevin A legal action that enables a person to retrieve personal property taken wrongfully or unlawfully  - Replevin Intake Form (PDF)
Writ of Restitution (Eviction) A court order directing the Sheriff to evict tenants from residential or commercial property  - Restitution Intake Form (PDF)
 - "Eviction: Are You Prepared?" (PDF)
Restraining Order A court order that limits the activities of one or more people in a divorce or marriage dissolution OR an order affecting parties who are not related and may or may not be known to each other  - Other Court Order Intake (PDF)
 - Service Information Form (PDF)