Special Circumstances

Applicants under 18 years old

17 year olds

Any applicants who are 17 years old must have the consent of a custodial parent or legal guardian. 17 year olds must apply in person with the custodial guardian or legal guardian present. 

Applicants must also bring:

  1. Proof of age, such as a driver's license or birth certificate
  2. Proof of legal guardianship, such as a birth certificate or court orders.

16 year olds and younger 

Applicants who are 16 years old or younger must have the consent of Superior Court. In Snohomish County, please contact Juvenile Court Services at 425-388-7869 for more information.


Emancipated minors 

Emancipated minors must present court emancipation papers specifically allowing the minor to marry.

Address Confidentially Program Participants

If you participate in the state's Address Confidentiality Program, you may call in advance to set up an appointment or simply tell the Recording staff member assisting you.

Staff will ensure that you and your significant other can complete your marriage license application in a private setting and that your marriage records remain closed to public view.