Transferring a Title on a Washington Vehicle
If you have a privately purchased Washington State titled vehicle or received one as a gift, you are required to transfer the title within 15 days of acquisition or you will incur a monetary penalty.
If you buy a vehicle from a Washington state dealer, they will take care of the transfer. If you buy from an out-of-state dealer, you may need to take care of the transfer. Learn more.
To transfer a title, the following is needed:
- Current title with the previous owner’s signature(s) releasing ownership. If the seller lost the title, they must complete an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest (PDF) and sign it in front of a notary or licensing agent.
- Bill of Sale (PDF) stating the full purchase price or a statement of gift signed by the previous owner. The purchase price or the word "gift" may be written in the sale price area.
- Completed Odometer Disclosure Form if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
- Completed Vehicle Title Application.
Title transfers can be conducted in person at the Snohomish County Licensing Division, at any subagency or by mail attention Snohomish County Licensing Division, 3000 Rockefeller Avenue, M/S 306, Everett, WA 98201.
Generally, if you complete the title transfer by mail or in person, it takes 8 to 10 weeks to receive your title. If you need it faster, visit the State of Washington website.
An emissions test may be required when transferring a title. Learn more.
A title transfer is generally $37.50 plus sales tax on the value of the vehicle.
Sales tax is not applicable on gift transactions if proof is submitted that shows the previous owner already paid Washington sales tax. A vehicle may not be gifted twice in a row.
Generally, title transfers require the purchase of new license plates and registration. Exceptions:
- Removing a deceased spouse or domestic partner from the title
- The vehicle was received from:
- Your spouse or domestic partner
- A family member as a gift or inheritance
- A trust in which the registered owner or their immediate family members are the beneficiaries of the trust.
For additional information on costs associated with transferring a title call 425-388-3371.
Report of Sale - If you sold, gifted or donated your vehicle to someone else.
Vehicle Title Application - Transfer, add or remove an owner.
Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale (PDF)- Completed when you sell your vehicle or vessel.