Sustainable Operations Action Plan
Snohomish County is working hard to make its operations more environmentally and economically sustainable. The Sustainable Operations Action Plan (SOAP) guides its efforts and renews the commitment to take action on climate change and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from government operations. The comprehensive 5-year plan was unanimously adopted by County Council on September 3, 2013, and on September 24, 2013 County Executive John Lovick issued Executive Order 13-48A regarding Climate Change and the County's Sustainable Operations Action Plan.
Updating the SOAP
In February 2021, the Office of Energy and Sustainability (OES) started the process for updating the existing Sustainable Operations Action Plan (SOAP). Public engagement for the SOAP update will start in the spring of 2021, so stay tuned for public engagement opportunities and how you can provide input for the new plan for sustainable county government operations!
1. Watch the SOAP Update Webinars
OES is kicking-off this effort by hosting two webinars for county employees to learn more about the SOAP Update and how to participate in the process.
The first webinar, "SOAP Progress Review" on 2/23 from 2-3pm covers the following topics:
- SOAP Update Timeline
- What is the Office of Energy & Sustainability
- What is the SOAP?
- SOAP Progress Report - Highlights of successes and areas for further work
- View the first webinar recording here: https://zoom.us/rec/share/-o6VyoYGRS7wyLnl_x7mET3ZbQnGjvJeRCQwZgJubdPgdBbUzF-Zo_iwsxy-5FGT.oqfrEIOGcXm-ILZb
- View the first webinar slides here (PDF).
The second webinar, "Moving Forward" on 3/2 from 2-3pm covers:
- SOAP Update Timeline
- New commitments for county operations
- Overview of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for county operations
- Proposed SOAP changes
- View the second webinar recording here: https://zoom.us/rec/share/fdZtcFO5zoAGyVQ5ElC5Kl2U_08PkrdZeLMOWBGOY-X-iTG1lJcvca4oUKP-ylNN.v6wa84cBzxVi8v6s
- View the second webinar slides here (PDF).
2. Take the SOAP Update Survey (for County employees only at this time)
- Click on this link to go to the Office of Energy and Sustainability Sharepoint site and take the survey.
Read the Sustainable Operations Action Plan (PDF)! The plan was developed through a multi-department process that covers multiple environmental disciplines and areas of government.
SOAP Implementation and Progress
Read the SOAP 2019 Progress Update (PDF)!
Read our SOAP Two Year Progress Update (PDF)!
Read our SOAP Action Updates that describe SOAP progress through completed and ongoing projects.