- County Services
- Office of Energy & Sustainability
- Sustainable Operations Action Plan
Sustainable Operations Action Plan
Snohomish County is working hard to make its operations more environmentally and economically sustainable. The Sustainable Operations Action Plan (SOAP) guides its efforts and renews the commitment to take action on climate change and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from government operations. The comprehensive 5-year plan was unanimously adopted by County Council on September 3, 2013, and on September 24, 2013 County Executive John Lovick issued Executive Order 13-48A regarding Climate Change and the County's Sustainable Operations Action Plan.
Updating the SOAP
In February 2021, the Office of Energy and Sustainability (OES) started the process for updating the existing Sustainable Operations Action Plan (SOAP). The first phase of the update focuses on input from County employees. The second phase of the update process will focus on engagement and input from the public. Stay tuned for public engagement opportunities and how you can provide input for the new plan for sustainable county government operations!
1. Watch the SOAP Update Webinars
OES kicked-off this effort for County employees by hosting two webinars for county employees to learn more about the SOAP Update and how to participate in the process.
The first webinar, "SOAP Progress Review" on 2/23 from 2-3pm covered the following topics:
- SOAP Update Timeline
- What is the Office of Energy & Sustainability
- What is the SOAP?
- SOAP Progress Report - Highlights of successes and areas for further work
- View the first webinar recording here: https://zoom.us/rec/share/-o6VyoYGRS7wyLnl_x7mET3ZbQnGjvJeRCQwZgJubdPgdBbUzF-Zo_iwsxy-5FGT.oqfrEIOGcXm-ILZb
- View the first webinar slides here (PDF).
- Read audience Questions and Answers from the first webinar here (PDF).
The second webinar, "Moving Forward" on 3/2 from 2-3pm covered:
- SOAP Update Timeline
- New commitments for county operations
- Overview of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for county operations
- Proposed SOAP changes
- View the second webinar recording here: https://zoom.us/rec/share/fdZtcFO5zoAGyVQ5ElC5Kl2U_08PkrdZeLMOWBGOY-X-iTG1lJcvca4oUKP-ylNN.v6wa84cBzxVi8v6s
- View the second webinar slides here (PDF).
- Read audience Questions and Answers from the second webinar here (PDF)
2. Employee Survey Results
We asked County employees take a short survey to help guide the direction of our SOAP Update, get input on the draft goals, and get ideas for specific actions we can take to address climate change. View the results of the employee survey here! We will continue conducting engagement with County employees in the public on the SOAP Update - stay-tuned!.
Read the Sustainable Operations Action Plan (PDF)! The plan was developed through a multi-department process that covers multiple environmental disciplines and areas of government.
SOAP Implementation and Progress
Read the SOAP 2019 Progress Update (PDF)!
Read our SOAP Two Year Progress Update (PDF)!
Read our SOAP Action Updates that describe SOAP progress through completed and ongoing projects.