Snohomish County Planning and Development Services (PDS) is responsible for reviewing and issuing a wide variety of permits and land use applications, including: residential and commercial building permits, boundary line adjustments, subdivisions, driveway aprons to the right-of-way, clearing and grading, public events, firework stands, and others. PDS strives to make the permitting process as painless and as easy to understand as possible.

The permit(s) you will need depends on what you are trying to do, as there are many factors to consider for different types of land use and construction. Click on the links below for more detailed information about each topic area. Once you know what forms and checklists you will need, you can begin your permit process.


On December 12, 2023, the County Council adopted regulations for accessory dwelling units (ADUs) that prohibit detached ADUs in rural areas on lots that do not meet prescriptive lot area requirements (e.g., lots less than five acres in the Rural 5-Acre zone).  The regulations become effective on January 6, 2024.  Please be aware that permit applications are vested to the regulations in effect at the time of filing a complete application.

How do I apply for a permit?

PDS is now paperless. All application materials must be submitted electronically.  You can apply for a permit at PDS by submitting an application online at My Building For more information, refer to our online permitting page

First time submitting? Need help?

Figuring out which permit and/or which materials you need to submit can be challenging. PDS is committed to helping its customers through the submission and review process.  If you would like help figuring out what permit(s) and materials you will need, please complete the online Ask Permit Tech form or call 425-388-3311 and we will respond to you with guidance on how to proceed.