Regulation Resources


The goal of this section is to help farmers understand County regulations that most often affect them, and to learn which permits might be needed for something they intend to do on their property.

Regulatory Boundary Map for Agriculture

The location of your farm makes a big difference in how regulations may affect you. This map will help you find out which key regulatory boundaries your property lies within.

Helpful Tips on Obtaining Permits for Agricultural Activities

Get basic information about obtaining a permit. Bulletins that give you additional information on structures and businesses include:

Three Commonly Required Land Use Permits

This section presents background information on three commonly required land use permits. Farms situated near shorelines and floodplains may require all three. The timeframe for obtaining permits depends on a number of variables. Please ask the county agriculture planner for an estimate for your project.

The Unified Development Code

The Unified Development Code (UDC) is the section of the Snohomish County Code that provides a unified set of standards and procedures to regulate building and land development within unincorporated Snohomish County. Simplified explanations of the most common permits and sections of the code relating to agriculture are contained in this section of the Focus on Farming website.

Contact Our Agriculture Planner

Please contact Land Development Specialist Jennifer Lenz via email or at ext. 2823 regarding your specific permitting questions. You may use the talk to text system by calling 425-388-3700.

State of Washington Requirements

The State of Washington may also have requirements affecting your planned activity. For example, the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) has rules about poultry processing plants, and the Washington State Department of Ecology (DOE) has rules about lagoons.