Message from the Sheriff
Summer has officially arrived to Snohomish County! As you head out to enjoy the warmer weather and longer days, here are few things to keep in mind to keep your family and neighbors safe:
- Celebrate safely. Fireworks can only be discharged in unincorporated Snohomish County on July 4 from 9 AM to 11:59 PM (if you are unsure of the discharge laws in your area, refer to our Fireworks Discharge Map).
- Children at play. School is out and so are our county’s children. Be alert for children playing on neighborhood streets and at parks and playgrounds. Pay extra attention to kids on bicycles – they may not know to use hand signals or follow the rules of the road.
- Lock it up. Warm days mean many of us leave our windows and doors open to let in a cool breeze. But those open windows and doors can be an open invitation to crooks. Make sure you secure your home before leaving for work or going to bed. And don’t forget to secure things like yard maintenance tools and bicycles before going inside for the evening.
- Out of sight. Parking lots at our county’s trailheads, parks, and beaches are popular with “smash and grab” thieves. Do not leave anything in your car that may have the appearance of being valuable. If you must leave items in the car, lock them in the trunk.
- Light it up. Burglars know summer is the time potential victims take vacations, and they will take advantage of these extended absences. Leave lights on timers to create the impression someone is home. Make sure your yard and home are well-lit from the outside. Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to stop by to pick up mail and newspapers.
Finally, I hope you’ll join us Tuesday, August 2, 2016 for National Night Out! By registering your neighborhood’s NNO event, we can schedule a deputy to stop by and answer any questions you might have about crime prevention in your community.
Have a great summer, Snohomish County!
SNOHOMISH, Wash. – Major crimes detectives with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office seek assistance from the public to help establish the identity of a woman whose body was recovered from the Snohomish River on June 26. Additional Info...
EVERETT, WASH. - Snohomish County Sheriff's Office detectives are investigating a robbery and shooting that left one resident of a home at the 8700 block of Gothic Way dead early this morning. Additional Info...
ELLENSBURG, Wash. – Detectives with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office have arrested the parents of murder suspect John Reed for rendering criminal assistance in the first degree. Additional Info...