Prevent Vehicle Prowls
As the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, car prowlers come out in force to break into our county's vehicles. Here are some tips to avoid becoming the next victim of a car prowl (theft from your vehicle):
- Always roll up your windows and lock your vehicle. Thieves drive through parking lots and neighborhoods looking for unlocked cars or open windows.
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle. Even if you don't think an item is worth much, it can bring quick cash to a car prowler. Purses and wallets are not only tempting because they may contain cash, but also credit cards and checkbooks.
- Lock items in the truck or remove them. If you can't take your valuables with you, make sure they are secured and out-of-sight.
- Park in well-lighted places.
- Install a car alarm system or physical security deterrent such as a “club” type of device.
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity by calling 911.